Sunday, October 5, 2008

PETRI(FIED)

Series: (FIED)
Sunday, October 5, 2008

Opening:
If any of you have kids, and if you feel comfortable, share some of those birth stories. Go ahead, try to impress each other- longest labor, biggest baby, etc.

Digging Deeper:
  • The bible teaches that the Christian’s life in Jesus starts before we do anything- it starts with Regeneration or Rebirth.
  • Read Titus 3:3-7. Without trying to go into this whole passage (there’s a lot), discuss the progression of salvation. What is the importance, place and purpose of rebirth? How does it happen
  • Read John 3:1-8. We may not have time for the rest of this passage. Who is Nicodemus? What is a Pharisee and ruling council? What doe you imagine was going on in his life to bring him to Jesus? Is he trying to flatter Jesus? Is salvation a matter of knowledge, nationality or behavior?
  • Discuss what it means to be born again- is this an offensive phrase? Is it helpful to understand the Christian life?
  • Discuss the following definitions and feel free to expand:
  1. Regeneration: the work of the Holy Spirit upon those who are spiritually dead, quickening the heart to spiritual life.
  2. Repentance: To turn from sin and towards Jesus in faith.
  • What is the importance of repentance and regeneration in seeing the Kingdom of God?

Closing:
Throughout the month we’ll be looking at the following “Order of Salvation.”
If you have time, before prayer, discuss:
Regeneration (Repentance/Faith)
Justification
Sanctification
Glorification

___
TITUS 3:3-7
3At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

JOHN 3:1-8
1Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."

3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.[a]"

4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"

5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You[c] must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

SAVED BY GRACE
Four years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of ABSOLUTE TERROR!! I wanted to end my life…

I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis.

I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staffs were very supportive...I had no control over my process.
I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame].

No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified].

I asked JESUS CHRIST to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.”

I am a practicing Catholic & the HOLY SPIRIT is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing.
I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities.

John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time.

I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia].

Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].

I, MICHAEL, AM THE HOLY ONE OF GOD.

Connection Group Covenant

Connecting with God. Connecting with people. Connecting with the world.

Connection Groups target the second part of our mission- to connect with people. We believe that being in relationships, in the body of Christ, is an essential part of every Christ-followers life.

In the days of the early Church the first Christ followers gathered the first day of the week (Sunday) for worship. In addition, they meet throughout the week, daily in fact, in homes (Acts 2:46; Romans 16:5; 1 Corinthians 16:19; Colossians 4:15). We believe that being a part of a Connection Group is not something we do in addition to “going to church,” it is essential to “be the church.”

We gather around the following values:

Common Purpose: To become more Christ-like in everything.
Common Place: To become more a part of our community.
Common Possessions: To become more generous in supporting one another.

Therefore,
• We agree to meet for the duration of this semester.
• We will try to make every Group meeting.
• We will discuss the topic/text of worship services.
• We will make worshiping at Connections a priority. If we cannot be at worship we will listen or read the message online.
• We will support our facilitators and hosts and respect their role.
• We will be respecters of persons.
• We will practice confidentiality.
• We will seek to deepen relationships within the group.
• We will play together.
• We will serve together.

When: _________________________________________________

Where: _________________________________________________

Other: